Tuesday, July 17, 2012

New Age Pasta Salad


Sorry it's been so long since a new post! The computers went in for repair...
Last Saturday I went to synagogue for what was probably the first time since my Bat Mitzvah (and high holidays). You can imagine my shock to see the sanctuary had been redone. No longer were the cheap pews  bedecked with their turquoise cushion. Instead, comfy stylish chairs created a open, meeting-like atmosphere. The affect was lovely. 

Something along the lines of this....kind of

My father and I had attended because the Kiddush (prayer and food) following service was dedicated to a close family friend, honoring her work as President of the Synagogue. I had been told the food was to be especially good in her honor. While I usually enjoy the routine bagels, lox, white fish salad and cookies, I have to admit, I was looking forward to this feast.

The food of my people
 
As the service wrapped up, we entered the dining hall to be greeted by the singular best pasta salad I have ever had. It was so good, in fact, that I ran out to the store as soon as we got home and picked up as many of the ingredients as I could remember tasting in the salad.
It's as good as homemade macaroni and cheese. As satisfying as warm stew on a winter's day. Better than a sip of ice cold lemonade in the heat of summer. It knows who killed JFK.
Sorry...carried away. 
Anyway - delicious, and pretty darn healthy too. Fruits and veggies! 
 
1/2 cup Capers
1 cup Spinach, chopped
1 medium onion Onion
2/3 cup raisins
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 lb pasta, cooked
1/2 cup Olives, sliced
1 cup Peas
1/2 cup Almonds, sliced
1/2 cup cheddar, grated
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine vinegar


Pretty easy! All you do is soak the onions in the vinegar for 10 minutes. Now drain them.
Mix everything except for the cheese and almonds into the pasta and pour mixture into a casserole dish. Now, pour almonds on top and place cheese as the final layer.


Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes, so everything melts together. Quickly broil for about 3 minutes. Voila! Delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment