Sunday, June 10, 2012

Gigante Bean Antipasto Replica

I love the Giant Bean Salad from Whole Foods. I don't shop at Whole Foods much, but when I do it's for the beans. In fact, I think the only time I've been there that has not been for getting beans is the time when my brother and I went to see how long we could keep our hands in the wine cooler.

You really need some giant beans for this. I believe I could go vegetarian if I had access to giant beans. Unfortunately, I don't. Kidney beans are my substitute when I cannot get a hold of giant beans.

Time: Several hours (4-6, the longer the better). Plan ahead!

1/2 lb giant beans, or kidney beans
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 small onion
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbls olive oil
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste

You want to roast the peppers and onion on some kind of open flame. I use my papa's grill. Once roasted, cut them into small strips, about 1/4 inch thick. It's nice if you want get the skin off, but not necessary. The beans should be cooked already, if not, here's a little how-to for you:
You can let then soak overnight. 3 cups of water per one cup of dried bean.
OR, a quicker method (but still takes over an hour) - Bring the beans to boil in a pot of water, then simmer for 2 minutes. Let soak until soft - about 60-90 minutes.
Okay, now that we've got that worked out let's put everything into a bowl, give a quick mix and set it in the fridge for several hours. This lets everything marinade. Yum yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment