Wednesday, July 18, 2012

(The Latest and Greatest) Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love chocolate. In fact, I love it the point where my love is unhealthy. Some may call it an addiction, based on my symptoms of withdrawal when I have not had chocolate in a week. Yet, as summer surrounds me and my thoughts turn beachward I remember why people opt out of eating delicious, chocolate dessert made with gallons of butter. 



However, do to my reliance on chocolate, I cannot ignore my tummy's grumbles for cookies. So instead I decided to modify several chocolate chip recipes and produce something that vaguely resembles healthy. 70 calories healthy. 2 grams of fat. 
 I'm not one to watch my weight or anything, but I know that numbers like that NEVER come with this much choco-deliciousness. 


Now, when I first hear someone describe their recipe as healthy, especially when it comes to desserts, I usually think of something along the lines of this:


Ewwwww
 Let me set you straight. Think this:

Heavenly

Oven Temp - 380
Prep Time - 15 minutes (plus cooling)
Bake Time - 7 minutes
Total Time - 30 minutes

(Makes about 30 cookies)

2 and 1/3 cup oat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 chocolate chips
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (I love coconut oil)
1/4 cup to 3/4 cups milk

Special note! For those of you who, like me,  don't have oat flour here's an easy way to make your own. Take about 3 cups of rolled oats and blend them. They will turn into a very fine powder that should measure close to 2 and 1/3 cups.


Woah! Hold on a second - there's no eggs! Wait....but that means you can eat the raw dough.
Let me say it again.
You can eat the raw dough. 
That's right. Not only is this a healthy recipe, but it also makes an excellent snack. Alright, you can carry on now.

Combine dry ingredients and mix well.



Add the wet ingredients. For soft cookies, refrigerate until cold (otherwise, just bake right away).



Bake 7 minutes at 380 or until the cookies spread out and look slightly undercooked. The thing about this dough is that it will cook more easily on the cookie sheets than normal dough, so once you take it out, they will continue to cook for about 10 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. I accidentally made the dough to moist and tried adding more oat flour. It's not really working. Any idea how I should fix it? I really don't want to waste the pricey oat flour. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, it will depend on the consistency of the dough. If adding the extra flour made it crumbly, you can put in a dash more oil to smooth it out. If it is still too moist, you can just try baking it - sometimes these things work out for the best! Grinding rolled oats makes the oat flour pretty darn inexpensive, although the texture might be less smooth. I hope they came out alright, though!

      Delete