Saturday, July 21, 2012

Zucchini Mania: Chip Edition

This is part one of a seemingly endless series of zucchini recipes. My friend went on vacation this past week leaving me his garden to care for. As he showed me around he excitedly pointed to a couple innocent little yellow flowers saying "The first zucchini of the season will be ready this week!". I was amazed that these little flowers would have time to grow into zucchini in just one week. Unfortunately, I was wrong. When I stopped by on Saturday to see if anything had happened, I saw the world's 7 largest zucchinis growing. The picture doesn't do them justice.

4 of the 7 monsters - all well over 1.5 feet long
Now, I'm sure you zucchini-experts are all rolling your eyes at me. Everyone should know that vegetables don't stop growing unless picked....everyone except me. Oh well.
 As you can see, I had my hands full - quite literally. I sat down and began listing all of the uses of zucchini I could think of. I spent all afternoon preparing a zucchini feast - appetizer, entree and dessert. Today, I present 3 new recipes, but more will follow soon enough. 

The first recipe I present to you is zucchini chips. They make an excellent little snack, so good in fact that I keep eating them every time I walk past their cooling spot - which is a lot given that I'm cooking all day today and they are waiting seductively on the counter.



2 small zucchini sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs 
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 
pinch of pepper
1/4 cup milk 

Mix together the dry ingredients (everything other than milk and zucchini).



Dip zucchini in milk, then into dry ingredients. 
Place slices on a wire cooling rack on top of a pan to catch the crumbs.



Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes. Check after about 20 minutes to prevent burning.

Seductively cooling

No comments:

Post a Comment