Friday, August 31, 2012

Hot Chocolate for the Soul

Hot chocolate warms the soul. As the cool air is seeping through our open windows at night, my mind if turning to the season of snow days. Although school hasn't even started yet it's about time to gear up which means it's about time to start praying for those snow days.
The beauty of senior year of high school is that snow days mean one less day in the year as opposed to the normally making it up at the year. With colleges breaking down my door I know I'll be wanting the comforts of a hot chocolate more than ever before. I dream of wafts of warmth twirling out of those magic mugs. When I close my eyes all I can see is the promise of melting marshmallows and a flurry of snow beckoning me out the window. 
Ahhhh, winter is coming.



1/2 cup water 
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces chopper bittersweet chocolate
2 tsp of instant coffee
2 cups milk (whole milk makes a belly full!)
1/2 tsp vanilla
and, of course, whipped cream



In a small saucepan heat water, sugar, cocoa powder and coffee. Whisk until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Remove from heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate until smooth.



Return to heat and mix in the milk. Keep on heat until hot but be careful to avoid curdling.



Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into mugs, top with cream (or marshmallows!). For decoration you can sprinkle on cinnamon or cocoa powder. Step back, admire and then enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment