Sunday, May 5, 2013

S'more Brownies

Talk about decadence. These little guys will leave your sweet tooth completely satisfied. This weekend I knew I wanted to make something s'more based - some kind of s'more deconstruction. I considered many possibilities. I struggled to find a medium in which to carry the s'more elements. I'm sure you're probably thinking that brownies are a pretty logical base, carrying out the chocolate flavor with a smooth consistency. Well, I knew I wanted to top with a graham cracker crumble, something that would imitate the crumble on a coffee cake. This brought my mind to muffins! I imagined a play on muffins with marshmallows like blueberries and graham cracker crumble like the sugar crumble. Finally, though, I decided to go with brownies. Gosh, it was a tough 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do.
Anyways, I made a quick sketch of the ideal s'more brownies. Brownie base with chocolate crumbles, and marshmallows, topped with graham cracker crumble. Beautiful.




Oven Temp: 350 F
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35-40 minutes
Ready-In: 1 hour

1 cup butter, melted
3 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
3 chocolate bars (hershey's are great), chopped up
6 graham crackers, crumbled
3 tbls butter
1 tbls milk 

Of course, you can use any brownie recipe, but I just took the opportunity to try out a new one. You may notice there is no baking soda or powder here. And there are four eggs, where most recipes call for two or three. This maximizes fudginess and flavor. I'd also recommend my favorite one-bowl brownies to expedite the baking adventure.
 Also, it's wonderful to spend some quality time with Hershey.

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. You really must use a 9x13, a 9x9 is too small for this batch.

An inspiring compilation of ingredients


Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. 



Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended. 



Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl. Gradually stir flour mixture into the egg mixture until blended. 



Stir in about 2/3 of the chocolate crumbles and 1 cup of marshmallows. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate and marshmallows on top.



 Crumble up graham crackers, mix with 3 tablespoons melted butter and milk to make a crumble. Sprinkle liberally the crumble on top. 
Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool before cutting into and devouring.




No comments:

Post a Comment