Sunday, June 10, 2012

Emergency Stuffed Tomato

This was an absolute emergency. We had run out of food. All that was left was a couple of tomatoes. I don't love tomatoes; I tolerate them. I allow them to make my scrambled eggs delicious. I permit them to smoosh themselves unto my pasta. They can even make a star appearance in tomato and corn pie. But eating them whole is a little rough. I have a friend who does that - he just puts salt and pepper on his tomato and eats it like an apple.
Only a tough circumstance could force me to cook them up and make them the star of dinner, and this was one tough circumstance indeed.

1 cup uncooked rice (You may as well just cook it up right now)
4 tomatoes
olive oil
3 tbls basil
grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
about 1/2-3/4 cup breadcrumbs

Oven Temperature: 350
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Off with their heads! Cut off the top of the tomatoes, scoop out the innards, placing them in a bowl. Mix the insides with an equal amount of insides to cheese and breadcrumb. Add rice, basil, oil, salt and pepper. Grease a pan with olive oil. Stuff the tomatoes with the inside goop. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment