Sunday, February 10, 2013

Homemade Milanos

I guess it's imitation weekend. Following the post about the Hostess Cupcake Remakes, my dad suggested I try to make his favorite cookies - Pepperidge Farm Milanos. I was shocked to discover how few people had tried to replicate the recipe before, but I guess going into replication can be nerve-wracking because you know how they are SUPPOSED to taste but you almost certainly won't hit it right on the mark. 
These are a pretty replication, if I am allowed to self-endorse. The cookies are a little crunchier, but I like that. They also definitely have more chocolate, but I don't think anyone can really complain about that. 
These are really easy to whip up. I spent a decent amount of time shaping the cookies, but I was going for appearance. The fun thing about these is you can shape them into whatever you want, so they don't have to be plain old circles or ovals. I'll certainly be aiming to be more creative in the future. Like dinosaurs or sheep or something.

Oven Temp: 325
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour

2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temp
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate (milk or semi-sweet)
1/4 cup cool whip


Begin by placing sugar in a bowl and smashing the butter. If you have a mixer that's great, but it's just as easy to do it by hand. I always prefer working with my hands anyways (less dishes to clean!).


Mix in vanilla and egg.


Mix in flour.  I slowly mixed in 1/4 cup of flour at a time.


Mix until dough forms a smooth ball that is soft to the touch.


Cover cookie trays with wax paper. I found several recipes that recommend putting the cookie dough in a plastic bag, and cutting a 3/4" hole at the corner of the bag to pipe out the cookies. I tried it and my bag ended up bursting so I rolled out the rest by hand into ovals and flattened them.  Each cookie should be about 2" long.  Use your finger to flatten out the cookie so you have long flat oval cookies (about 1/4" thick).


Heat your oven to 325 degrees.


Bake for about 15 minutes, until they are golden brown on the bottom.


As they are baking, prepare chocolate. Melt chocolate in a saucepan. Stir in cool whip to thicken. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes, stirring once in a while. It should be slightly spreadable. As cookies cool, begin to match up similarly shaped ones. Coat one side with chocolate, and sandwich them together.




I forgot to take enough pictures of the final project, and they were eaten pretty quickly. This is from
http://www.hansenchristiancenter.com/2011/12/01/homemade-milano-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment