Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

I know you've heard this a thousand times before, but you have to give me a shot. These are the cookies that you dream of. Crispy edges, soft gooey centers. Perfect chocolate to cookie ratio. The whole package. My sister was the primary developer of these. She's the baker in the family. When she's home she bakes every single day. It's exhausting for me and my dad to have to deal with that.

2 c. flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c unsalted butter, at room temp
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 tbls vanilla
1 egg
1 yolk
1 bag of delicious chocolate chips



I know, it looks like every single chocolate cookie recipe you've ever tried before. But here's an important tip - the butter MUST be at room temperature. You really don't want to melt in the microwave because it will melt unevenly and the cookie dough will be too thin. If the butter is too hard, it will become too cake-y, OR, even worse, sections will melt in the oven and spread out into one giant cookie! But that's worst case scenario.



Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside
Beat butter into the sugars. Add the vanilla, egg and extra yolk.


Sift in dry ingredients including chocolate chips. Mix until just blended. Place on making pans in cookie-sized chunks.



I have another secret for you. This is more important than the potential butter-fiasco one.
Ready? You've got to freeze the cookie dough. I'm serious. 20 minutes, flash freeze it. That's all I'm asking. You can thank me later. It makes SUCH a difference. This will get you that perfect texture.

Okay, no more secrets. Bake them at 315 F for about 15 minutes at which time they shall look perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment